Ghani takes 'serious measures' against child sexual abuse
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Afghan government takes note of the reports on sexual abuse of children in the country, and has undertaken serious measures to enforce the law and prevent this iniquitous, inhumane and irreligious act, the Presidential Palace has said.
President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani on Wednesday addressing all security officials via videoconference said: “the laws, culture and religious values of the people of Afghanistan recognize sexual abuse of children as one of the severest crimes and violations of human rights.”
Earlier , The New York Times reported child sexual abuse locally known as bacha bazi was being practiced among Afghan police and militias.
The Times report focused, in part, on the case of Dan Quinn, a former Special Forces captain in Afghanistan who was relieved from his duties after beating up an Afghan militia leader who had been spending his wages on “dancing boys,” even keeping a young boy chained to his bed as a sex slave.
The investigation suggests that in certain instances, American soldiers have been disciplined for disobeying a policy of nonintervention in cases of sexual abuse of children.
President Ghani directed all ranks of the Afghan Defense and Security Forces to prevent recurrence of any such acts through taking instructive, reformative and punitive measures, added the statement.
The President also directed Afghanistan’s Independent Human Rights Commission, the Ministry of Interior Affairs, and the Office of the Attorney General to form a working committee for investigating and monitoring, and coming up with an oversight mechanism to prevent and prosecute the perpetrators of sexual abuse of children.
“The Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is committed to protection and safeguarding of the rights of all its citizens, especially children and women, and reiterates that commission of such crimes, especially in the ranks of the Armed Forces, is intolerable,” concluded the statement.
A day earlier, the Afghan Interior Ministry, Ministry of Defence and NATO and US forces top commander in Afghanistan Gen. John Campbell rejected Times report as baseless.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.