Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Delay in operation led to Kunduz fall, spymaster tells MPs

Delay in operation led to Kunduz fall, spymaster tells MPs

By
On
Sep 30, 2015 - 15:42

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The National Directorate of Security (NDSinfo-icon) -- the Afghan spy service -- on Wednesday said the suspension of a planned operation led to the fall of Kunduz City to the Talibaninfo-icon.

Three days back, the insurgents attacked the provincial capital from several directions and took control of the entire city after a 14-hour battle with security forces.

On Wednesday, the Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon summoned NDS chief Rahmatullah and other top security bosses to explain factors behind the collapse of the strategic city to lawmakers.

Interior Minister Noor-ul-Haq Ulumi, acting defense minister Masoom Stanikzai, Independent Directorate of Local Governance (IDLG) head Ghulam Jilani Popal and National Security Advisor Mohammad Hanif Atmar were summoned.

But only Nabil, Ulumi and Popal attended turned up to brief the legislators. Speaker Abdur Rauf Ibrahimi said National Security Advisor Mohammad Hanif Atmar was currently abroad and could not attend the session.

Nabil apologised to public representatives for the city’s fall to Taliban. “There is no way to absolve ourselves of blame,” he remarked, saying the loss of the provincial capital happened only in 72 hours.

He recalled the NDS had previously shared its concern about Kunduz security with the lower house. “We had clear information that Dasht-i-Archi and Chahar Dara districts would become centers of terrorism ...”

Nabil added that NDS early this year planned to launch a high-level operation that was approved by the president in the province.

For bringing reforms in order to solve Kunduz problems, the president and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) brought changes in different departments of the provincial administration, he said.

Nabil explained 700 commandos had been deployed to the Kunduz airport for launching an operation in the first month of the ongoing solar yearinfo-icon. But they remained for 25 days at the airport. “Unfortunately, this operation was suspended for various reasons.”

To discuss reasons for suspending the operation, Nabil asked the Wolesi Jirga speaker for an in-camera. “I’m proud of Afghan forces defending Kunduz residents and making good achievements during their operation for retaking the control of the city.”

mds/mud

 

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Advertisement

Twitter Update