Ghani reaffirms pledge to clear Kunduz of militants
Speaking to military officials through a video link, the president pledged that officials, whose negligence caused the fall of Kunduz City to the insurgents would be punished.
He discussed the latest security environment in the restive province with senior officials and directed them to take care of civilians and make sure they were not harmed in any way.
But the Taliban asserted they retained the control of Kunduz City and had captured more areas from the security forces. Earlier, government official claimed security forces had recaptured Kunduz City.
On September 29, hundreds of Taliban gunmen stormed Kunduz City from various directions and captured it after a few hours of clashes with security forces.
Sediq Siddiqui, the Interior Ministry spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News security forces conducted an operation on Wednesday night to drive militants from the city.
He said the security forces were able to take control of the entire city during the operation that continued until 3:30am. NATO forces provided air support, Siddiqui added.
The Tala wa Barfak district of northern Baghlan province has been overrun by the Taliban, who also captured the Khawaja Ghar town of Takhar province, residents and officials said on Thursday.
The Kunduz governor was not present when the province fell to the Taliban, according to sources, whosaid Mohammad Omar Safi fled to Europe after the strategic city collapsed.
Safi had been in Tajikistan, from where he was trying to reach London, a government official said on the condition of anonymity.
An Afghan diplomat in Dushanbe also wrote on his Facebook wall the governor of Kunduz had moved to Uzbekistan from Tajikistan before reaching Turkey on his way to Europe. He wrote after obtaining Tajikistan’s visa, Omar wanted to go to Europe.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.