Ghazni: More than 800 Taliban eliminated in 6 months
GHAZNI CITY (Pajhwok): As many as 828 Taliban have been killed and more than 300 wounded in the past six months in southern Ghazni province, security official claimed on Thursday.
Amir Mohammad, a 203rd Thunder Military Corps official, told Pajhwok Afghan News the security personnel had conducted at least 1,000 operations in the first half of the year.
He said 324 fighters had been wounded and 246 others arrested during security operations in the province, where the Pakistani spy agency provided support to the insurgents for attacks.
The Taliban planned to capture some areas this year, but security forces did not allow them to translate their plans into action, according to the official, who urged residents to support the security forces against the insurgents.
Governor Mohammad Aman Hamimi also asked the people of Ghazni to support the security forces in improving the law and order situation.
Provincial Council Chairman Amanullah Kamrani said some areas of Ghazni were still under threat from militants. He added the Taliban were out to attack civilians and destroy public property.
Mohammad Anwar, an inhabitant of Ghazni City, claimed the Taliban openly roamed about the provincial capital. He expressed concern the insurgents might stage attacks in the province.
But police chief Mohammad Hakim Angar insisted the Taliban did not have the ability to face the security forces. The rebel group could plant roadside bombs that mainly killed common people, he said.
Security officials in Ghazni claimed gaining advantage over the insurgents after the Taliban stormed Kunduz City, the capital of northern Kunduz province.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.