Hundreds rally in Kabul over fall of Kunduz
KABUL (Pajhwok): Hundreds of people on Thursday took to the streets in central capital Kabul, demanding removal and punishment for officials whose negligence led to the fall of Kunduz City.
The demonstrators chanted slogans against the Taliban and officials within the government who covertly work against the interest of Afghanistan what a veteran jihadi leader Abdul Rab Rassoul Sayyaf recently called as “the 5th pillar of the government.”
Some angry protesters with Mujahideen-era flags in hands tried to reach the Presidential Palace, but police prevented their advance.
They demanded immediate removal of National Security Adviser Hanif Atmar, Interior Minister Noorul Haq Ulumi and spymaster Rahmatullah Nabil.
On the night between Sunday and Monday, hundreds of Taliban gunmen stormed Kunduz City from various directions, capturing the strategic city after a few hours of clashes with security forces.
Earlier, Sediq Siddiqui, the Interior Ministry spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News security forces launched a special operation on Wednesday night to drive militants from the city.
He said the security forces were able to take control of the entire city during the operation that continued until 3:30am. NATO forces also provided air support, Siddiqui added.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) confirmed the security forces had wrested back Kunduz City despite strong resistance from militants.
In a statement, the MoD claimed 150 insurgents had been killed and 90 others wounded in the offensive. The forces had reached Bala Hesar hilltop, pushing back the Taliban from Pul Rahmat Khan area.
The protestors in Kabul accused the government of mishandling the security situation in Kunduz City.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.