Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

No recurrence of Kunduz failure in other provinces: Stanikzai

No recurrence of Kunduz failure in other provinces: Stanikzai

Oct 02, 2015 - 15:09

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Acting Defence Minister Masoom Stanikzai on Friday called the fall of Kunduz a tragedy and a bad experimentthat would not be allowed to unfold in other parts of the country.

Speaking to reporters here, he paid tributes to the security officials and said Afghanistaninfo-icon had been fighting a covert war, in which the enemy was aided by unknown sources.

On the night between Sunday and Monday, hundreds of Talibaninfo-icon gunmen stormed Kunduz City from various directions, capturing the strategic town after a few hours of clashes with security forces.

Earlier, Interior Ministry spokesmanSediq Siddiquitold Pajhwok Afghan News the security forces had launched a special operation on Wednesday night to drive militants from the city.

He said the security forces were able to take control of the entire city during the operation that continued until 3:30am. NATOinfo-icon forces also provided air support, Siddiqui added.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) confirmed the security forces had wrested back Kunduz City despite strong resistance from militants.

In a statement, the MoD claimed 150 insurgents had been killed and 90 others wounded in the offensive. The forces had reached Bala Hesar hilltop, pushing back the Taliban from Pul-i-Rahmat Khan area.

Interior Minister Noor-ul-Haq Ulumi, who was also present at the press conference, said the security forces had taken the control of Kunduz City. He spurned rumors that the government was too weak to retake the strategic province.

Rahmatullah Nabil, the National Directorate of Security (NDSinfo-icon) chief, said the government forces had been under immense pressure after security transition from foreign troops. The Afghans must convert challenges into opportunities to steer their country out of crisis, he stressed.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update