Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Taliban still in control of parts of Kunduz City, say locals

Taliban still in control of parts of Kunduz City, say locals

Oct 02, 2015 - 16:51


KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Talibaninfo-icon are still in control of several parts of Kunduz City, residents said on Friday, contradicting security officials’ claim that the entire city has been cleared of insurgents.

On the night between Sunday and Monday, hundreds of Taliban gunmen stormed Kunduz City from various directions, capturing the strategic city after a few hours of clashes with security forces.

Earlier, Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Siddiqui told Pajhwok Afghan News security forces had launched a special operation on Wednesday night to drive militants from the city.

He said the security forces were able to take control of the entire city during the operation that continued until 3:30am. NATOinfo-icon forces also provided air support, Siddiqui added.

But Mohammad Anwar, a resident of Bandar Imaminfo-icon Sahib locality, a number of city areas were still under Taliban siege.

Cinema Street, Alokozai Warehouse, the Governor’s House, police headquarters, the municipality building, Nawabad and Fatima al-Zahra High School are under government control.

He said the situation remained tense, with residents in urgent need of drinking water, food items and safety. Prices of essential commodities have dramatically shot up in the city.

On the other hand, police spokesman Syed Sarwar Hussaini said the air and ground offensive had been halted and security forces had taken positions in parts of the embattled city. He insisted the entire provincial capital was under government’s control, as a search operation was underway to track down the insurgents. Hussaini did not give details about casualties.

Earlier, acting Governor Hamdullah Danishi had said at least 160 militants, including foreigners, had been killed and 60 others wounded in fighting.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update