Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

‘Taliban trying to shift Quetta council to Helmand’

‘Taliban trying to shift Quetta council to Helmand’

Oct 03, 2015 - 22:52

KANDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): The police chief for southern Kandahar province on Saturday claimed Talibaninfo-icon insurgents were keeping the conflict hot in neighbouring Helmand province to transfer their Quetta council there from Pakistaninfo-icon.

Answering a volley of questions from reporters in Kandahar City, Gen. Raziq said the Taliban had intensified the conflict in Helmand with assistance from Pakistan to capture northern districts.

He said the Taliban had the plan to transfer their Quetta council to northern districts of Helmand over the next three months, something that would relieve Pakistan from allegations that it harboured Taliban and other terrorists.

But for this purpose, the hundreds of local and foreign militants who had arrived in Musa Qala, Nawzad and other districts suffered heavy casualties at the hands of security forces and most of them got killed.

The police chief said the Taliban received much of their logistics in Helmand’s Desho and Behramchi areas lying close to the Durand Lineinfo-icon.

He said the Taliban transferred their wounded colleagues through the two areas which also served as a centre for smuggling of precious stones and narcotics.

However, he said he wondered why the important route could not be blocked against insurgents over the past 14 years that saw tens of thousands of foreign troops moving into Helmand.

He said like the past, he had discussed this issue with the acting defence minister who had assured the route would be closed against insurgents at any cost.

Gen. Raziq briefed reporters about the overall latest security situation in the southern zone and said the public order and military personnel had recently launched their operation in Sangin district.

He said security operations by Kandahar special forces were underway in Uruzgan province’s Chinartu, Sarab, Khas Uruzgan and several other districts.

He said the security situation in Kandahar province was satisfactory and people had been widely supporting the security forces.

The police chief said Kunduz-like incident would never take place in Kandahar because everyone in the southern province was defending the soil at the cost of their lives.

He said there had been intense clashes in Kandahar over the past 14 years with the Taliban using all their energies, but they had not been successful.

To a question about the increasing insurgent attacks in the country, he said the Taliban were trying to show the worldinfo-icon that they could do big things even after the demise of their supremo and this way to boost the morale of fighters and not let them join the peace process.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update