13 Taliban, 2 ANA troops killed in Tagab offensive
MAHMOOD RAQI (Pajhwok): At least two Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers and 13 Taliban militants have been killed during four days of clashes in Tagab district of central Kapisa province, officials said on Saturday.
The 201st Selab Corps in the east said in a statement coordinated operations had been ongoing in Tagab district over the past four days and as a result, so far ten villages had been cleared of Taliban insurgents.
The operations codenamed “Khanjar 13” had so far resulted in the killing of 13 fighters and injuries to seven more.
Two ANA soldiers were also lost and another three wounded, said the statement.
But Khwaja Agha Safi, a local police commander, told Pajhwok Afghan News three ANA soldiers were killed following Taliban’s attack on their check post in Saleh Kala locality.
Taliban have not commented about the operations so far.
Residents in Tagab, calling for long-time operations, said short-term offensives were expensive and insurgents often staged a comeback after the withdrawal of security forces from areas cleared.
Haji Samiullah, a resident of Shenkai locality, said: “Tagab-Surubi road has security problems over the past few years. Those who work for government or other agencies cannot pass the area easily.”
He said security check posts were necessary and short-term operations could not bring lasting security.
Azizullah Safi, a member of the provincial council, claimed Tagab residents suffered financial and property losses during the operations. He said utmost attention should be paid to the lives and properties of ordinary people.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.