Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

No one allowed to misuse Kunduz situation: MoI

No one allowed to misuse Kunduz situation: MoI

Oct 03, 2015 - 21:51

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The Ministry of Interior (MoI) on Saturday said Afghan security forces were in control of most parts of Kunduz City, the capital of northern Kunduz province, and that no one would be allowed to exploit the situation there for their own benefits.

Kunduz City fell to the Talibaninfo-icon on Monday after they launched a three-pronged attack on the city on the night between Sunday and Monday.

MoI spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told reporters in Kabul that Interior Minister Noorul Haq Ulumi and Chief of Army Staff Gen. Qadam Shah Shaheem yesterday visited Kunduz province to strengthen coordination among security forces and ensure that all available resources were fully used.

To a question about the presence of illegal armed groups in Kunduz and the possibility that they could exploit the situation, the MoI spokesman said: “Clashes in some parts of Kunduz City are underway, but most parts of the city are under security forces control and they will not allow anyone to misuse the situation.”

To another question about jihadi leaders’ vow to support the Afghan security forces in Kunduz, Seddiqi said after the fall of Kunduz City, the security forces had political support and it was good if the forces were supported, but defence was the job of only Afghan security forces.

He said people’s support with security forces was crucial and people should support their security forces in any way possible and they should not allow the Taliban to enter their areas. “We respect the sentiments of jihadi commanders and hope they would extend unwavering support to Afghan forces and would not allow the Taliban to target our cities.”

A day earlier, a number of former jihadiinfo-icon leaders held a gathering in central Parwan province and called upon the people of Afghanistaninfo-icon, particularly on former mujahideeninfo-icon, to jump into the clashes in Kunduz in support of Afghan security forces.

The gathering through a resolution letter, which was on Saturday read out by Kapisa lawmaker Iqbal Safi at the Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon, asked the government to back uprising groups. It said if the government could not assist the uprising groups, they were ready to so do themselves.

The ex-jihadis said the Parwan gathering did not represent any particular group or tribe and their aim was mustering support for security forces to address security problems in Kunduz, Nangarhar and other provinces.

The MoI spokesman said Taliban militants had plundered and torched people’s houses and had killed people, saying it was not the claim of the government only, but the Amnesty International had a prepared a report on the Taliban’s actions and had expressed its grave concern.

However, the Taliban have rejected the Amnesty International report.

Seddiqi said nearly 300 Taliban militants had been killed and 80 others captured alive during the past three days of operations in Kunduz. He said only three security personnel had been killed in Kunduz.

He said 20 Islamic State fighters were killed in search operations by Afghan security forces over the past three days in the Achin district of eastern Nangarhar province.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update