Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Govt statements on Kunduz hospital attack irk MSF

Govt statements on Kunduz hospital attack irk MSF

Oct 05, 2015 - 17:00

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Médecins Sans Frontières(MSF) on Monday took strong exception to statements from some Afghan officials justifying the attack on its hospital in Kunduz province.

"These statements imply Afghan and US forces decided to raze to the ground a fully functioning hospital because they claim Talibaninfo-icon were present there,” the MSF general director said.

In a press release, Christopher Stokes said such statements amounted to an admission of a war crime, contradicting the initial attempts of the US to downplay the attack as 'collateral damage'.

“There can be no justification for this abhorrent attack that resulted in the deaths of our staff as they worked and patients as they lay in their beds,” MSF said, reiterating its demand for an independent international investigation.

Meanwhile, the organisation has set up a hotline for missing hospital staff, encouraging them to call it urgently and say whether they were safe, where they were and if they require medical attention.

The hotline is only for MSF staff and their families to provide information. “We are asking callers to confirm the staff member’s name, their father’s name and their position at the MSF Kunduz hospital.”

The hotline numbers are:Roshan: 072 928 2986 and Etisalat: 078 340 5598.

Meanwhile, the Norwegian Refugees Council (NRC) also strongly condemned the aerial bombing of the MSF hospital, saying it was deeply concerned about the humanitarian situation in Kunduz and urged both sides of the conflict to uphold their responsibilities under international law to ensure that civilians are protected. The ongoing conflict has resulted in a dire humanitarian situation in Kunduz, with humanitarian actors unable to provide much-needed assistance to families, NRC said in a statement.

 “Food, water and basic services are very limited in Kunduz city and there is an immediate need to assist people trapped inside their homes. However it is very difficult for NRC and other humanitarian actors to provide assistance due to continued conflict in and around Kunduz,” said Ms. Qurat Sadozai, NRC Country Director in Afghanistaninfo-icon.

NRC, one of the leading humanitarian NGOs in Kunduz, has been forced to temporarily halt operations out of consideration for the safety of our staff. NRC has evacuated 31 staff members from the city. Our office, like other NGOs in Kunduz has been looted but we have so far not been able to fully assess the damage or loss of assets.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update