Labour Ministry alone can’t solve joblessness issue
KABUL (Pajhwok): Forty-three vocational training centres for the youth have been closed due to a lack of budget, but the government is struggling to re-solve the problem, a minister said on Monday.
Testifying before the Wolesi Jirga, Minister for Labour, Social Affairs, Martyrs and Disabled Nasrin Oryakhel said it was beyond her ministry’s authority to stop the youth from migrating to foreign countries and solely resolve the joblessness crisis.
She said all the ministries and other related organizations should work in coordination with each other to get rid of the situation.
She said it had been planned to establish a national working committee under the chairmanship of the president to respond to joblessness on national level. As joblessness has direct links with insecurity, she said, some jobless youths have been recruited by militants and as a result, insecurity has increased in much of the country.
In order to prevent the mass migration, she said, they had contacted regional countries including Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Kuwait to help Afghanistan create jobs for its jobless youth and these countries had pledged help and had signed memorandum of understanding with Afghanistan.
Re-activation of the vocation centres was another option to bring down the level of joblessness, she said, adding that currently there were 43 vocational training centres which had been closed due to the lack of budget.
Making them functional again would help introduce professional and vocational workers to the market over the next two years, she said. According to Oryakhel, out of the total workforce, 55 percent were on job and 24 percent jobless.
The labour ministry announced two weeks back that it had signed a MoU worth $1 million with UN-HABITAT on re-activating 10 vocational centres which have been closed due to lack of budget.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.