People to be held accountable if necessary, says Carter
WASHINGTON (PAN): Awaiting the results of investigations, US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter on Tuesday said if necessary he would hold people accountable for the mistake of bombing a hospital in Kunduz province over the weekend.
“The US military takes the greatest care in our operations to prevent the loss of innocent life, and when we make mistakes, we own up to them. That's exactly what we're doing right now,” he said.
In a statement, Carter said through a full and transparent investigation, the US would do everything it could to fully understand the tragic incident, learn from it and hold people accountable as necessary.
Earlier in the day, Commander of US forces in Afghanistan Gen. John Campbell informed Congress that the military airstrike in Kunduz in support Afghan forces on the ground was a mistaken attack on the Doctors Without Borders field hospital.
“Doctors Without Borders does important work all around the world, and the Department of Defense deeply regrets the loss of innocent lives that resulted from this tragic event,” he said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.