Afghan detainee’s transfer from Gitmo recommended
KABUL (Pajhwok): A US military board has decided an Afghan citizen, who was arrested more than 11 years ago, should be freed from the American naval detention facility in Guantanamo Bay.
The Defense Department said on Wednesday Mohammed Kaminhad been detained in 2003 on the charge of helping militants bring weapons into Afghanistan.
He was accused before a military commission in 2008 of providing material support to terrorism -- a charge that was withdrawn a year later. The 37-year-old was never placed on trial.
In September, the Periodic Review Board recommended his transfer from the prison, where 114 detainees-- mostly from Yemen -- are currently being held.
Described as one of the more compliant detainees, Kamin had been candid in describing his past activities, the board said in a statement on its website.
There was no evidence he had expressed extremist views during detention or harboured anti-American feelings. His release is now dependent on talks with Afghan officials.
Sent to Guantanamo in September 2004, Kamin denied during a 2008 hearing that he had joined Al Qaeda or Taliban, and was trained at one of the group’s camps.
In 2009, President Barack Obama identifiedshutting down the prison within a year as a priority. But it could not be closed due to objections from Congress.