Khost prison security beefed up after Kunduz jailbreak
KHOST CITY (Pajhwok): Officials on Thursday said they had taken special security measures around the central prison in southeastern Khost province, vowing to defend the facility at any costs.
The special measures were put in place after hundreds of dangerous inmates were freed from Kunduz and Kandahar prisons in brazen attacks on the jails by Taliban insurgents.
Khost governor Hakam Khan Habibi said enough attention had been paid to the security of the prison and security forces were ready for a strong response in case the jail was attacked.
While visiting the prison, Habibi told Pajhwok Afghan New, “We have regular meetings with security officials and special measures are in place for security of the prison. New check posts have been established near the prison.”
“We assure everybody that we have our attention increased on the prison and have no problem in this regard.”
Col. Abdul Rahman Safi, head of the prison, said they had started some educational and vocational training programmes for inmates. “Our industrial section is functioning. The inmates are busy with their work. From first until 12th class regular classes are ongoing and we also have memorization of Holy Quran section.”
According to officials currently 482 inmates, including three women, are being held at the provincial central jail.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.