Kunduz journalists face security threats: ANJU
KABUL (Pajhwok): Urging measures to protect journalists, the Afghanistan National Journalists Union (ANJU) on Thursday said some journalists had arrived in Kabul from northern Kunduz province due to insecurity and threats to their lives.
Fahim Dashti, the union’s executive head, told reporters in Kabul: “We have created a complaint box at the Ministry of Information and Culture to reach out to problems of all journalists especially those from Kunduz.”
According to Dashti, more than 15 media activists, including six media officials, have moved to Kabul due to insecurity in Kunduz. In general, he said, 40 journalists had been displaced to several provinces.
He said apart from some help by the union, no one including the government had assisted these journalists.
Zarghona Hasan, head of Shayesta and Kayhan radios in Kunduz, said after the fall of Kunduz to Taliban, the radios’ equipment were looted and their broadcasts went off air.
She said the clashes and the bombing of a hospital by US forces in Kunduz had killed 22 civilians, including Zabihullah Pashtunyar, Kaihan radio host.
Hasan said the government should not only support these radios, but should ensure that journalists and media activists were protected.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.