Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Situation tense as Kunduz City yet to be fully cleared

Situation tense as Kunduz City yet to be fully cleared

Oct 08, 2015 - 13:25

KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): The situations in the capital of northern Kunduz province remains tense and uncertain as residents claim the Talibaninfo-icon have recaptured some of areas they lost during a recent operation.

Amruddin Wali, deputy head of the provincial council, told Pajhwok Afghan News on Thursday the rebels had once again captured the ports, ring roads, including the Khakni, Seh Darak, Khayaban, Khwaja Mashhad and some others areas.

He claimed forces had pulled back from these areas, where no fighting took place last evening.

Two weeks earlier, hundreds of Taliban gunmen stormed Kunduz City, capturing the strategic town after a few hours of clashes.

Earlier, Sediq Siddiqui, the Interior Ministry spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News security forces had conducted a special operation Wednesday night to drive militants from the city and retake control of the provincial capital

Interior Minister Noor-ul-Haq Ulumi had said the security forces had taken control of Kunduz City, rejecting rumours the government was weak and unable to take back the strategic city.

But Wali, the public representative, alleged the government and its security organs did not have the will to fully clear the city. He claimed his frequent requests for crucial action had fallen on deaf ears.

Residents were faced with food shortages, as the Taliban’s supply routes remained open, the provincial council deputy chairman said, voicing concern over the fluid situation in Kunduz City.

Rehmat Baig, an inhabitant of the provincial capital, said he had seen dozens of Taliban, armed with rockets and Kalashnikovs, in Zar Kharid area this morning. “The militants hiding in civilian houses must be driven out.”

But police spokesman Syed Sarwar Hussaini said Bala Hesar fort, the National Directorate of Security office, municipality building, zonal hospital, the MSF trauma Centre and Kabulinfo-icon, Imaminfo-icon Sahib and Khanabad ports had been cleared of Taliban.

He said heavy casualties had been inflicted on the insurgents, even thoughthey did not halt security forces’ advance. Hussaini confirmed the arrival of reinforcements in the city, saying security forces were in the neighbourhoods they had retaken.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update