7 would-be suicide bombers among 30 detained
GHAZNI CITY/JALALABAD (Pajhwok): At least 30 militants, including seven would-be suicide bombers, have been arrested in different parts of the country, officials said on Saturday.
Security officials in Ghazni said six would-be suicide bombers were among 17 suspected insurgents detained during an operation in different parts of the southern province.
Intelligence Director Ali Ahmad Mubarez told Pajhwok Afghan News the militants were held during a National Directorate of Security (NDS) operation on the outskirts of the provincial capital on Friday.
The guerrillas planned to conduct coordinated attacks on security check-posts in Ghazni City, but they were detained before reaching their targets, he said.
“Taliban are spreading terror among the people, but I assure there is nothing to worry about. The masses should support their security forces in improving situation,” Mubarez said.
Governor Mohammad Aman Hamim also assured the people that security forces were using all resources to beef up security in the province. “Taliban should never think of taking Ghazni City; they would just lose their own men and.”
Ahmad Jamal, a resident of Andar district, said there was a large number of militants in the town, but some of them had recently gone to Kunduz province.
In the eastern province of Nangarhar, the authorities claimed arresting more than a dozen suspected militants, including five Pakistanis.
Police spokesman Col. Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal told Pajhwok the 13 individuals were detained in Kot, Nazyan and Haska Mina districts.
“Late on Friday night, five suspects were captured in the Janjal area of Kot, two in Haska Mina and six in Nazyan,” he added.
Meanwhile, a statement from the 201st Selab Military Corps said a militant attack on security posts in neighbouring Kunar province had been thwarted.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.