Ibrahimi says Kunduz clearing offensive ineffective
KABUL (Pajhwok): Wolesi Jirga Speaker Abdul Rauf Ibrahimi on Saturday insisted the ongoing offensive in northern Kunduz province should continue with changes in operational tactics by security forces. Two weeks earlier, hundreds of Taliban gunmen stormed Kunduz City from various directions, capturing the strategic city after a few hours of clashes with security forces. “Char Dara and Dash-i-Archi districts have turned into Taliban training centres. If the anti-Taliban offensive continues in the same manner, it would be difficult to purge the province from them,” Ibrahimi believed. He said the ongoing Kunduz offensive was ineffective and asked the government to be more aggressive to clear the strategically important province from insurgents. According to Ibrahimi, the president in his recent meeting with elders had pledged continuation of the military operation in north particularly in Kunduz until the anti-state actors were eliminated. Thousands of families displaced by the conflict in Kunduz to neighboring provinces were in dire conditions, he said. “It is government’s responsibly to pave the way for the return of displaced families to their homes,” he said. Qudratullah Zaki, a lawmaker from Takhar, said the masses had been disappointed by the government by losing control over the north, which pushed thousands of people into living a miserable life. Gul Pacha Majidi, a lawmaker from Paktia province, said people who had role in the fall of Kunduz, were still part of the government and enjoyed privileges. He the government had been unable to clear Kunduz from rebels in 10 days. Some lawmakers claimed the security situation in Faryab, Sar-i-Pul and Baghlan had also deteriorated, asking the government to pay more attention to these provinces. nh/myn/ma
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.