45 seminary students poisoned in Parwan
KABUL (Pajhwok): Forty-five seminary students were on Sunday taken to hospital after falling ill from eating beans in central Parwan province.
The victims, who all attend Abuzar Ghaffari Madrasa in Jablus Saraj district, were brought to the civil hospital in Charikar, the provincial capital, said Qari Abdur Rashid, the seminary administrator.
He told Pajhwok Afghan News the students aged between 10 and 35 years fell ill after eating cooked beans on Saturday noon.
Calling the incident a warning for seminaries, Rashid asked relevant government organs to investigate it.
Charikar Civil Hospital Director Dr. Abdul Qasim Sangin said 45 students from the madrasa were under treatment.
About a year ago, 48 students of the same madrasa were poisoned by food and all of them were treated.
There are 1,600 students seeking religious education in registered madaris in Parwan.
Similar incidents targeting schoolgirls have taken place in several provinces, but no one had died and so far no group has claimed responsibility for such incidents.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.