Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Aid delivered to Achin displaced families insufficient

Aid delivered to Achin displaced families insufficient

Oct 11, 2015 - 16:31

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The provincial administration of eastern Nangarhar province has delivered food items to displaced families of Achin district, but local officials say the aid is insufficient.

Governor Salim Khan Kunduzi, accompanied by provincial council head Ahmad Ali Hazrat and other members, on Saturday visited Achin district where they took some edible items such as flour, ghee, beans, pulses, sugar, tea and other food items for the displaced families.

Hundreds of families have been displaced in the district due to recent clashes between security forces and militants affiliated with the so-called Islamic State or Daesh group.

During his visit, Kunduzi insisted on defeating Daesh and talked about efforts his administration was making to improve local governance.

Achin district chief Hajji Ghalib Mujahid told Pajhwok Afghan News the governor instructed education, public health, rural development and rehabilitation directors to deliver best services in the area.

He said the governor assured the displaced families that they would get continued necessary assistance in addition to the aid they brought with them.

“Nearly 800 families have been displaced from different parts of Achin while the governor brought a van full of food items which is not sufficient and there is need for more assistance,” he said.

The official said the displaced families were living in dire conditions and the the central government should provide them more assistance.

Harakat Khan, who displaced from Abdulkhel area to the district centre, said they were yet to receive any assistance, but the district officials had promised them that they would get the aid soon.

“We need many things because we have left everything behind in our village,” he said.

According to Nangarhar officials, a total of 13,000 families have been displaced as a result of recent violence, but only 5000 have been assisted so far.

A survey is underway to identify the number of displaced families from Achin district.

A military official Col. Mohammad Jan said militants sustained huge losses during the ongoing operation against them in Abdulkhel area of the district.

He said their soldiers were ready to fight until the district was cleared of the enemies and that the army checkpoints had been strengthened.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update