ACB plans charity matches for Kunduz war victims
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): A day-long tournament would be arranged in Kabul to support the victims of recent fighting in northern Kunduz province, the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) announced on Tuesday.
The revenue from the event, involving 20-over matches would be spent on the welfare of the war-affected Kunduz families, ACB spokesman Farid Hotak told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Earlier in the month, a large number of the Taliban stormed the strategic capital of Kunduz province from different directions. After a few hours of clashes, the rebels overran the city that remained under their control for three days.
During their control of Kunduz City, the insurgents allegedly set alight several offices and emptied bank coffers. Food prices shot up, many residents left their homes and basic civic services were disrupted.
In an effort to reach out to the affected individuals, Hotak said the ACB would organise the 20-over matches between Afghanistan A and other upcoming teams at the Kabul International Stadium on October 15. Aryana TV would air the matches live, the board spokesman added.
As an institution, the board would like to demonstrate its commitment to helping the Kunduz victims with proceeds from match tickets, ACB General Manager Nasimullah Danish said.
Shafiqullah Stanikzai, the ACB chief executive, said cricket had been effective in promoting a variety of causes in Afghanistan. With support from players, he added, the sport would be used to assist the Kunduz inhabitants.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.