Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Kabul asks OIC to condemn Taliban’s threats to media

Kabul asks OIC to condemn Taliban’s threats to media

Oct 14, 2015 - 20:07

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) on Wednesday asked the Organistaion of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to condemn recent Talibaninfo-icon’s warnings to media houses.

The MoFA said in a statement that Foreign Minister Salahuddin Rabbani had raised the issue with the OIC representative in Kabul during a meeting.

Rabbani said Taliban’s threats against privately-owned Tolo and 1TV channels were a threat against the freedom of expression and Afghanistaninfo-icon’s vibrant media community.

According to Rabbani, Afghanistan’s permanent representative in the UN had also been tasked with raising the issue in the UN Security Council to urge member countries to condemn the threats.

The OIC representative in Kabul, from his side, assured to take up the issue with the organisation’s secretariat in order to take steps.

Two days back in a statement, the Taliban designated Tolo TV and 1TV as military targets and accused the media houses of being directly funded by the US Embassy in Kabul to promote western culture and challenge Islamic values and encourage divisions among people.

The group’s statement particularly referred to the coverage of the Kunduz conflict by the two channels which reported that Taliban insurgents attacked a female hostel and raped students.

The group had said, quoting Kunduz residents, that all educational institutes including the female hostel in Kunduz had been shut on account of holidays when the rebels briefly held the city.

Afghan media and media support organisations on Tuesday condemned the threats from Taliban, saying any attack on media houses would be considered a war crime.

The Presidential Palace, the national assembly, the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA), the European Union and Human Rights Watch also condemned the threats, reaffirming their support for journalists and independent media



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update