Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

No plan yet to reopen Kunduz trauma centre: MSF official

No plan yet to reopen Kunduz trauma centre: MSF official

Oct 19, 2015 - 15:31

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Médecins Sans Frontières’ (MSF) says it will not reopen its trauma centre in northern Kunduz province until the United States and the Afghan government guarantee its security.

An October 3 airstrike by the US forces killed at least 12 members of MSF staff, and 10 patients, including three children. An additional 37 people were injured in the much-denounced raid.

MSF head in Afghanistaninfo-icon Guilhem Molinie told Pajhwok Afghan News two of their staff members were still missing and the fate of at least nine patients hanged in the balance.

He asked families of patients and missing hospital staff to share information regarding their relatives with the medical charity. “We are in contact with families of the victims, injured and missing individuals.”

Molinie said that they could not publish the complete list of victims before their investigation was completed. He, however, did not give any timeframe for the completion of the investigations

At the moment, the organisation has no plan to reopen its hospital in Kunduz City. “We cannot reopen the MSF trauma centre until we are assured of our security,” he remarked.

“We have not been assured of our security in Kunduz by Afghan and US governments,” Molinie maintained, saying they had not assess losses from the strike that left the hospital destroyed.

The US has announced compensating the victims, but Molinie explained the MSF had not received any official communication. He vehemently denied the presence of any Pakistani national or armed individuals inside the hospital.

US news sources recently reported a Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence (ISIinfo-icon) member was using the hospital as a base to guide militants at the time of the airstrike.

After the Kunduz incident, Molinie said, they had been worried about MSF hospitals in other regions of the country. He made clear they not resume work again in Kunduz in the absence of security guarantees.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update