Taliban suffer losses as attack on Ala Sai beaten back
MAHMOOD RAQI (Pajhwok): Officials in central Kapisa province on Monday said around 2,000 Taliban staged an attack on Ala Sai district, but they suffered losses and were beaten back.
Afghan Local Police (ALP) Commander Mustafa Sapi told Pajhwok Afghan News the road between the district and the provincial capital was blocked due to the Taliban attack and security forces could not transfer the injured soldier to hospital.
“Pakistani, Baloch, Wazir, local gunmen and other foreigners joined the Taliban in the attack,” he said, adding the insurgents’ objective was to overrun Ala Sai.
But theirplans were foiled and heavy casualties inflicted on the fighters. Sapi said at least 30 Taliban were killed and dozens of others wounded in the counter-offensive.
Commander Asad Agha Sapi, the administrative chief of Tagab district, said reinforcements, including commandos of the Afghan National Army (ANA), had reached the town after days of fighting.
Wali Mohammad, a resident of the locality, said a large number of the guerrillas had gathered in the district and launched attacks on security forces over the past few days.
Meanwhile, a statement from the 201st Selab Corps said a clearing operation codenamed Khanjar had been launched in Tagab and Ala Sai district. Scores of rebels had been killed in the ongoing offensive, it added.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.