Journalists seek help to revive media in Kunduz
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Afghan Journalists Safety Committee (AJSC) on Tuesday urged national and international organizations to help revive media outlets and journalism in the restive northern Kunduz province.
Najib Sharifi, AJSC head, told reporters in Kabul that offices and valuable equipment of at least 13 media outlets had been damaged during Taliban’s occupation of Kunduz City, the provincial capital.
He said exact value of the losses suffered by media outlets would be revealed after a survey to be launched soon.
Before the fall of Kunduz City, he said, 10 radios and four televisions were active, but currently only one radio and the state-run television were functional.
According to Sharifi, some 94 journalists fled Kunduz due to Taliban threats and moved to Kabul, Badakhshan, Takhar and Baghlan provinces.
He said a newscaster with Radio Kihan was killed during the US forces airstrike on the Doctors Without Border (MSF)-run hospital in Kunduz city.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.