War-affected Kunduz families seek compensation
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Financial losses caused by the battle for Kunduz City runs into tens of millions of dollars, provincial officials estimate, saying the two investigation commissions will announce exact figures soon.
Kunduz City fell to the Taliban on September 25 after heavy clashes between the rebel group and Afghan forces. But the city was recaptured as a result of a two-week clearing operation.
In addition to civilian, Afghan forces and militants casualties, the fight also inflicted heavy financial losses to the government and residents.
Acting Governor Hamdullah Danishi said the militants had destroyed hundreds of residential buildings, public facilities, shops, markets, banks and offices of the UN and government entities.
He told Pajhwok Afghan News Departments of Urban Development and Rehabilitation, Municipality, Agriculture and Counternarcotics were also ransacked. He reckoned the losses at tens of millions of dollars.
A commission appointed by the Kunduz government and another by authorities in Kabul are busy collecting information regarding damages. “An accurate amount of losses will be worked out after the panels complete their investigations.”
Provincial Council Deputy Chairman Amruddin Wali claimed the battle had taken the province 15 years back or to the Taliban era. He said around 300 civilian and government buildings needed reconstruction.
About the torching of Ghazanfar and Bakhtar banks and some markets, Wali said, “All shopkeepers, traders, policemen, officers, farmers and other people have been affected. Kunduz, once called the food basket of the country stands devastated.”
He added Kunduz was an industrial and agricultural province and the government should take urgent action to rehabilitate it with a sense of urgency.
Meanwhile, violence-affected violence demanded recompense. Abdul Malik, owner of five of the 50 shops gutted, said the entire market had been torched and he suffered three million dollars in losses. Malik sold cosmetics, women’s clothes and other things.
Moneychanger Syed Abrar, another resident of the city, claimed his two-storey residential building was gutted, inflicting a loss of one million dollar on him. He has no any personal enmity with anyone.
However, the acting governor said the appointed commissions would share their findings with the Presidential Palace in Kabul to compensate the affected families.
The Afghanistan Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ACCI) had previously said Kunduz had suffered three million dollars in economic losses a day as result of the fighting.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.