Injured people be immediately shifted to Kabul: Ghani
KABUL (Pajhwok): President Ashraf Ghani on Tuesday offered condolences to those affected by the massive earthquake and ordered immediate transfer of the injured people to Kabul and allocation of budget for aid to the victims.
During a video conference, provincial governors presented their detailed reports about casualties and losses caused by the earthquake, a statement from the Presidential Palace said.
“Our investigation shows 115 of our countrymen were martyred, 538 others sustained injuries, 7630 residential houses, 20 Masjids and nine government departments’ buildings were partially destroyed in the quake,” the statement quoted Afghanistan National Disaster Management Authority (ANDMA) director Wais Ahmad Barmak as saying.
President Ghani also offered his heartfelt condolences to the affected families and grief over the loss of previous lives, saying “fortunately we took necessary measures to access the victims in a short period of time.”
He said human losses had been made known, but the damage to infrastructure such as electricity, bridges and roads needed to be assessed.
The president said the people of the country should be ensured that the government was ready to assist the affected families soon.
He asked the officials concerned to shift the wounded people to Kabul for better treatment as soon as possible, saying security and defence personnel especially airforce would be assigned with delivering aid to the affected people in-time.
Ghani also assigned Barmak and the finance minister to assess necessary budget for the assistance soon.
For collecting exact number of losses and establishment of a contact centre for donor agencies should be established soon, Chief Executive Officer, Dr. Abdullah Abdullah suggested at the video conference.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.