Relief operations underway as quake toll rises to 115
KABUL (Pajhwok): The death toll from Monday’s powerful earthquake has risen to 115, fresh reports from different provinces said on Tuesday.
At least 538 people were injured and 4,000 houses damaged by the 7.5 magnitude earthquake that struck major cities including Kabul, Jalalabad, Faizabad, Taloqan and Asadabad.
Meanwhile, the Presidential Palace tweeted that 115 people have died and 538 others wounded in the aftermath of the powerful quake. The Presidential Palace added 7360 houses, 12 schools, 17 mosques and 20 government buildings have been destroyed and damaged.
Wais Ahmad Barmak , the Afghanistan National Disaster Management Authority (ANDMA) chief, said the quake caused losses and casualties in 14 northern, central and eastern provinces of the country. Most of the casualties occurred in Badakhshan province.
He said 13 people were killed and 24 others injured in Badakhshan, where the temblor originated. Rescue operations have been launched and cash aid is being distributed to the affected people.
Barmak added ANDMA distributed 50,000 afghanis to each of 13 families affected by the tragedy in northern Takhar province.
“The earthquake has also affected remote areas of the country. We want to deliver aid to remote areas as well but insecurity is an obstacle. We urge the militants not to create problems for our teams,” he said.
Barmak did not provide details about casualties and losses. The epicenter was located in Jurm district. The US Geological Survey initially measured the quake's intensity at 7.7, but then revised it to 7.5.
Public Health Minister Firozuddin Firoz told reporters that 78 dead and 466 wounded persons had so far been evacuated to different government-run hospitals in provinces and Kabul.
He said people in Kunar, Nuristan, Badakhshan, Takhar and Nangarhar provinces suffered the most in the aftermath of the massive earthquake.
The minister said the death toll might rise as the delivery of injured persons to the capital continued.
Najibullah Kamawal, the public health director in Nangarhar, said 28 dead and 141 injured persons had been brought to the civil hospital so far.
Ghani Musamim, the governor’s spokesman in eastern Kunar province, said the Monday’s earthquake killed 32 people and wounded 105. He said they still had no information from remote mountainous areas and therefore the death toll in the province might rise.
Hafiz, Abdul Qayyum, the governor of eastern Nuristan province, said the earthquake jolted the province and damaged houses including the governor’s house.
He said as a result of the natural disaster, six people, including women and children, were killed and 76 more wounded.
He added 514 livestock perished, 800 homes and 21 kilometres road were destroyed in the mountainous province.
Rajab Ali Yousufi, ANDMA director for Smangan, province, said nine people were wounded in Aibak, the provincial capital.
Mohammad Amin Haidari, the ANDMA director in Panjshir province, said two people were killed and 10 others wounded in different parts of the province.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.