6 months after its fall, Atghar district retaken from rebels
QALAT (Pajhwok): Local officials on Monday said the Atghar district of southern Zabul province has been cleared of the Taliban -- almost six months after it was overrun by the insurgents.
Ahmad Khalid Safi, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News local security forces had purged the restive district of militants, who captured it six months ago.
He said a new district chief had been appointed and the identity card distribution process had resumed. The governor’s house plans to make functional all offices in the district.
Last week, Safi recalled. a military convoy arrived in the district and reopened roads that had been blocked by the militants. The fighters had been flushed out, the spokesman reiterated.
A resident of the district, Ghazi Mohammad Zargai, demanded implementation of development projects in the restive town, whose inhabitants are faced with various problems.
Reopening of health centers and schools should be a top priority in bringing normality to the district, he believed, hoping the authorities would focus more on keeping the rebels at bay.
Provincial Council Chairman Haji Atta Jan Haqbayan agreed the government should address the basic problems of the people if it really wanted to win public confidence.
Haqbayan said it was the responsibility of the government to provide elemental services to the people and maintain security.
Atghar is one of the remote districts of Zabul province, where insecurity, joblessness, lack of health services and education facilities as well as asphalted roads are among principal public concerns.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.