9 Daesh rebels eliminated in Achin, 7 in Haska Mena
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): At least nine Islamic State (IS) fighters have been killed and 30 others wounded during an ongoing operation in the Achin district of eastern Nangarhar province, an official claimed on Saturday.
Haji Ghalib Mujahid, the town’s administrative chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News the offensive was proceeding according to the plan and security forces had made a lot of progress in purging the district of insurgents.
Mohammad Nasim Sangin, a senior commander of the 201st Selab Military Corps, said Shadali Bazaar, Khas Achin, Karkani and some more other had been cleared. He added the rebels were on the run and the entire district would be secured soon.
Naveed Shinwari, a resident of the district, confirmed the security forces were closing in on rebel positions and most of the areas were under their control. He, however, did not have information about casualties.
Meanwhile, police spokesman Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwalsaid bodies of dozens of IS fighters were still lying on the battlefield. Besides Achin, security forces have also launched offensive in Haska Mena district, where seven insurgents were killed.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.