MSF assures reactivating hospital in Kunduz
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Medical charity Médecins Sans Frontières’ (MSF) or Doctors without Borders has assured residents of northeastern Kunduz province of reactivating its hospital in the provincial capital.
On October 3, thirty people including a dozen MSF staff and patients were killed in a US airstrike, which left another 37 people wounded, according to the charity group. The building of the hospital was completely burnt in fire.
Kunduz City fell to Taliban militants on September 25 after heavy gun-fights between the rebels and Afghan forces. But the city was recaptured during a two-week clearing operation.
Local officials said the MSF hospital had been treating emergency patients of bombs, traffic accidents and other incidents and played an important role in the northeastern zone.
Kunduz acting governor Hamdullah Danishi told Pajhwok Afghan News MSF representatives had met him and assured him that they would reopen their hospital in Kunduz.
He said the MSF would follow the contract it had previously signed with the government to reopen the hospital.
Provincial public health director Dr. Saad Mukhtar had previously said that the MSF hospital was bombed as a result of misinformation given to security forces that Taliban militants were being treated there.
However, Danishi said: “I told MSF hospital representatives that nefarious criminals were under treatment in the hospital, but we do not criticise it because it is the MSF policy. He added MSF officials had assured him they were trying to open their hospital again in Kunduz.
MSF office in Kabul did not comment about the issue. Kunduz people say the MSF hospital had been treating patients and wounded people for years and it is needed to be opened again.
One of them, Ainuddin, said the hospital must be reactivated in such a sensitive situation of the war so that people were not obligated to take their patients to hospitals of other provinces.
The hospital was playing a vital role in treating people in Kunduz and from northeastern province, he said, adding that residents faced problems after the hospital was bombarded.
“Earlier this year, I took my brother who was seriously injured in a traffic incident to the MSF hospital, he was treated free of cost, but if I had taken him to a private hospital, I am sure his treatment would have cost much more,” Ainuddin said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.