Blast, accidents on Zaranj-Dilaram claim 30 lives this year
ZARANJ (Pajhwok): Explosions and traffic accidents on the Zaranj-Dilaram highway in southwestern Nimroz province have taken the lives of over 30 people this year and wounded dozens more, officials said on Monday.
The 214 kilometres highway was reconstructed by India in 2004 at a cost of $150 million. Providing facilities for the transportation of trade goods between Afghanistan and Iran, the strategic road has been damaged by explosions.
Mohammad Hashim Noorzai, Khashrod district chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News blasts on the Khashrod-Dilaram highway this year had killed 20 security personnel and 12 civilians. The incidents have also damaged over 20 culverts.
The Taliban used the damaged areas to plant more landmines against security forces, he said, adding around 400 heavy and passenger vehicles travelled the highway. The damaged parts of the road have also caused traffic accidents.
Maj. Zareen, Nimroz, traffic department head, recalled 45 people, including women and children, had lost their lives on the Zaranj-Dilaram highway due to accidents and blasts last year. More than 90 others were wounded.
Majority of the incidents, he said, took place in Khashrod, Chakhansor and Dilaram districts, where the highway lies.
Mullah Gul Ahmadi, provincial council member, said the government should ensure security of the highway and reconstruct its damages parts.
Eng. Abdul Aziz, public works department’s acting director, said a survey of damaged areas was underway on the highway and maintenance work would start soon.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.