Islamic State has started recruiting in Kunar: Waziri
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The 201 Selab Military Corps commander on Monday said the Islamic State or Daesh group had started recruiting in eastern Kunar province and was planning attacks, but Afghan security forces would subdue it.
Brig. Gen. Mohammad Zaman Waziri told a press conference here at the corps headquarters that they had frustrated Taliban and Daesh’s plans to capture some areas in the east.
“The insurgents carried out group attacks in Kapisa, Parwan, Nuristan, Kunar and Laghman provinces in a bid to collapse the province and similarly the Daesh group wanted to capture the Shinwari zone, but they did not succeed.”
Waziri said the Islamic State had been weakened in Nangahar and driven from various areas, but the group had started looking for recruits in Kunar. “Daesh has not started practical fight in Kunar, but they plan to attack, our forces can prevent their plan.”
However, he said not say in which districts the IS was planning to carry out attack.
The military commander talked about the 201 Selab Military Corps’ achievements during the past two months and said they had killed 635 militants, injured another 414 and detained 60 suspects during the period that saw 11 soldiers dying and 18 sustaining injuries.
Gen. Waziri described the security situation as not worrisome and urged people increase their cooperation with Afghan soldiers. “The armed opposition has realised its defeat and they are now out gathering fighters from several areas, but they have no ability to fight the Afghan forces.”
H said many areas previously lost to insurgents in Achin district of Nangarhar had been recaptured and security posts had been increased in areas where they were needed.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.