65 soldiers have surrendered to Taliban: Helmand governor
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): At least 65 Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers have surrendered to the Taliban in the Sangin district of southern Helmand province, an official said on Saturday.
Governor Mirza Khan Rahimi confirmed to Pajhwok Afghan News the incident, saying a delegation had been sent to the district for investigating the surrender.
Abdul Aziz, a resident of Sangin, said: “The security post manned by the troops played a very important role in improving the law and order situation in the district.”
He added the military personnel had also turned in their weapons to the rebels. Local officials say a clearing operation is underway in parts of Sangin district.
Meanwhile, Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi said the soldiers on the ANA base, including five commanders, had surrendered to them.
The soldiers had handed over 73 heavy and light weapons along with five military tanks to the militants, Ahmadi claimed. “We have shifted the ANA personnel to secure areas.”
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.