Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

War-affected Kunduzis warn of withdrawing investments

War-affected Kunduzis warn of withdrawing investments

Nov 16, 2015 - 13:29

KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): War-affected residents, who lost their residences, markets, warehouses and shops during clashes in the capital of northeastern Kunduz province, on Monday warned of stopping investments if their losses were not compensated.

On September 28, the Talibaninfo-icon overran Kunduz City after hours of clashes with the security personnel. But the city was recaptured by the Afghan forces, supported by US-led coalitiontroops, as a result of a two-week clearing operation.

The fighting in Kunduz City caused heavy losses to residents, who complain they have not yet received any assistance from the government. More than a month on, they say, their calls have not been answered.

Abdul Maroof, a local businessman who owned a warehouse in Kunduz City, said all his goods were torched in the US airstrike on the MSF hospital.He told Pajhwok Afghan News his warehouse was located close to the trauma centre.

Maroof added the warehouse contained television sets, refrigerators, air conditioners, washing machines, sewing machines and other electronic equipment. But all items were gutted by the raids.

He also lost a bus to the airstrike that destroyed a number of shops in the vicinity.Estimating his losses at about 500,000 US dollars, he said: “We don’t know why our warehouse was attacked. The government and international organisations should compensate us.”

On October 3, 30 people including a dozen MSF staff and patients were killed in a US airstrike, which left another 37 people wounded, according to the charity group. The building of the hospital was completely burnt.

Almas, a resident of Badar Seh area, claimed eight of his shops had been destroyed during the fighting. Having rented the shops, he suffered a loss of four million afghanis.

Despite sharing their problems with local officials, the affected individuals alleged, the authorities continued to drag their feet on the issue of compensation. They warned of stopping investments if they were not compensated.

However, local officials explained a commission appointed by the government was assessing the losses. Acting Governor Hamdullah Danishi said exact amounts of losses were still being worked out.

The extent of losses would be determined after the commission completed its survey, he added, promising to help the affected individuals.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update