Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Operation launched against illegal gunmen in Andar: MoI

Operation launched against illegal gunmen in Andar: MoI

Nov 19, 2015 - 18:02

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The Interior Ministry on Thursday said police had launched an operation against illegal armed men involved in killing and harassing residents of the Andar district of southern Ghazni province.

The announcement comes days after hundreds of Andar residents protested in the provincial capital Ghazni City against the killing of a civilian by local police members.

The protestors alleged that anti-Talibaninfo-icon militiamen were kidnapping womeninfo-icon from homes to demand money from their relatives in return for their release.

The Ministry of Interior (MoI) in a statement issued to Pajhwok Afghan News said police had launched an operation against the killers of the civilian.

It said the operation was launched after Andar residents complained that uprising leaders Noor Mohammad, Baz Mohammad and Rahmat had killed the civilian, Shah Wali.

The ministry rejected claims that the killers were members of the local police force, saying the killers belonged to illegal armed groups. The operation has been launched to arrest the killers and bring them to justice, the ministry said.

MoI spokesman Sediq Sediqi told Pajhwok Afghan News the killers were no way linked to the Afghan Local Police (ALP).

“We have no local police members in Andar, where uprising members operate against terrorists,” he said.

He said it was found after investigation that illegal armed individuals were involved in killing and harassing residents and an operation against them had been launched.

The official said ALP forces would never want to harass people and the force was operating in 157 districts serving their communities.

The protestors had brought with them the coffin of the slain person and their representatives held talks with the provincial police chief Aminullah Amarkhel.

After listening to their complaints, Amarkhel said he had evidence including video clips proving crimes of the illegal armed men.

He said he would not spare the gunmen including Rahmat and Noor Mohammad and would bring them to justice.

Before this, residents of northern Baghlan and Kunduz provinces had complained against local police highhandedness.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update