Child trained as suicide bomber by Taliban detained in Kunduz
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Police in northern Kunduz province have detained a child, who was trained on conducting suicide bombings after being kidnapped by Taliban six years ago, an official said on Sunday.
Roohullah, 11, was kidnapped from the Khanabad port of Kunduz when he was five years old, the provincial police chief, Brig. Gen. Mohammad Qasim Jangalbagh, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
He said Taliban trained the child for six years on carrying out suicide attacks in Imam Sahib district, but he was detained by police in the first police district on Saturday evening.
The minor, traveling in a passenger car, looked scared and acknowledged receiving suicide attack training during police interrogations, Jangalbagh said.
However, police did not recover any explosive belt or bomb from the boy, who was later handed over to his family.
Rahmatullah, his father, was happy over his son being reunited with his family and stopped from conducting a suicide attack.
“My son disappeared six years ago, I searched him for years, but could not find him. I thought he was dead,” Rahmatullah said.
Last week, influential individuals and elders said foreign militants in the Jangal area of Imam Sahib were recruiting children for training in carrying out suicide attacks.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.