Military commander among 7 dead in Ghor clashes
FEROZKOH (Pajhwok): One Afghan National Army (ANA) commander, four militants and two civilians have been killed during clashes in western Ghor province, an official said on Tuesday.
The gunbattles that erupted between rebels and security forces late on Monday were still ongoing, the governor’s spokesman, Abdul Hai Khatibi, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Abdul Ahmad, commander of the army’s 4th brigade, also lost his life in the firefight, said the official, who did not have information about Taliban casualties.
But Nazir Ahmad, a policeman involved in the overnight clash, claimed that four insurgents had been killed and as many detained.
Mohammad, a resident of the locality, claimed two civilians were among those killed during the clashes. He said security forces arrived at around 2:00am to get back control of the area.
Deputy Governor Mohammad Amin Tokhi said a group of insurgents attacked a police check-post on the Ghor-Herat highway and killed two policemen. The insurgents also harassed passengers.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.