Afghanistan sees sharp rise in landmine casualties
KABUL (Pajhwok): The non-profit Afghan Landmines Survivors Organisation (ALSO) on Thursday said the number of people fell victim to the home-made bombs in Afghanistan increased by 23 percent in 2014 compared to the figures in 2013.
ALSO head Islamuddin Mohammad told a press conference in Kabul the information was part of a report published on Thursday.
A total of 3,678 people were killed or wounded by landmines worldwide over the last year, about 10 per day --- up from 3,308 in 2013, the report said. The vast majority, about 80 percent, of reported casualties were civilians.
Non-state groups were still using the deadly devices in the 12 months to October 2015 in Colombia, Libya, Myanmar, Pakistan, Syria and Yemen, and in Afghanistan, where there was a sharp increase in casualties from improvised explosive devices (IEDs).
The ALSO chief said the study had been jointly compiled by the International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBL), a lobby group, and the Community Centre of the Disabled (CCD). He said the 23 percent increase in landmine casualties in Afghanistan was of great concern and it showed essential measures in this regard had not been taken.
He said the landmines killed 374 people and injured 666 in 2013, but the fatalities rose to 575 in 2014 when another 721 people were wounded by the explosives.
Citing the report, he said, the dead and wounded in Afghanistan included 470 civilians, 16 deminers and 710 security personnel.
CCD deputy head Ahmad Shah Azimi said landmines leftover from the three decades of war in Afghanistan had killed and maimed hundreds of Afghans. He said Afghanistan topped worldwide landmine casualties.
He urged the parties to the conflict not to use landmines and urged the government to increase efforts at improving the lives of the disabled persons.
Labour and Social Affairs deputy minister Jamila Afghani said her ministry keeping in view available resources was assisting the disabled persons.
She said 200,000 people with disabilities were registered with the Labour and Social Affairs Ministry, with each receiving 5000 afghanis in monthly stipend.
A Senate member had recently claimed that 78000 ghost disabled persons received salaries and other privileges from the government.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.