Efforts on to rescue soldiers from Taliban captivity
MAIMANA (Pajhwok): Security personnel are still trying for release of the soldiers kidnapped by Taliban after a helicopter crash in northwestern Faryab province, an official said on Monday.
The Taliban claimed shifting the captive soldiers they seized after their copter made an emergency landing on the outskirts of the provincial capital last week to an area under their control.
Gen. Sakhi Dad, a commander of 209th Shaheen Military Corps, told Pajhwok Afghan News efforts were still underway for the safe release of service members.
He said they had provided details of efforts for negotiationson the release of the hostages with higher-ups and it was up to Kabul how it could make possible the soldiers’ rescue.
Soon after the private company’schopper made the emergency landing, the Taliban attacked the soldiers and three crew members. The chopper was flying from Mazar-i-Sharif to Maimana airport.
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) says one Afghan National Army (ANA) soldier and a foreign militant were killed in the ensuing clash. At least 18 soldiers are in Taliban’s custody.
Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, the Taliban spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News the captive security men had been shifted to a safe place. He said the soldiers were being investigated by the Taliban’s military wing.
Residents of locality said the Taliban had hit the helicopter with a rocket after a brief clash with the soldiers.
On the other hand, Syed Abdul Baqi Hashimi, former provincial council chief, said the militants had shifted the soldiers to Qaisar district, where they were being kept separately in insurgents’ homes.
He said: “We don’t know the fate of the soldiers and the Taliban’s conditions for their release.” He urged the captors to behave well with the soldiers under the laws of war.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.