Uplift projects in Taliban-controlled areas be stopped
KABUL (Pajhwok): The acting governor for northern Kunduz province on Wednesday said development activities should be stopped in areas where the insurgents had local support.
Ahmadullah Danishi told a gathering at the governor’s house that in some areas people still supported militants.
Therefore, he said development and assistance programmes in such areas should be stopped.
“Development programmes should be stopped in areas where people welcome Taliban and from where the militants capture other areas.”
“If I had the authority, I would have closed schools, stopped rural development programmes and would have prevented sending even a single afghani to these areas in order to oblige the people to stand against Taliban”.
The acting governor said President Ghani had sought three weeks time from people to launch clearing operations in the province.
Acting Education Director Rostam Ahmadi said 15 percent of schools in the province had been closed in Taliban-controlled areas.
He said there were more than 497 schools where more than 332,000 students were taught by 8600 teachers across the province.
Provincial police chief Brig. Gen. Mohammad Qasim Jangalbagh said clearing operations against militants would be started in the provincial capital and all districts.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.