Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

210 civilians killed, 555 injured this year in east

210 civilians killed, 555 injured this year in east

Dec 09, 2015 - 20:11

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Since March this year, 210 civilians were and another 555 injured in insecurity incidents in the eastern zone, the Afghanistaninfo-icon Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) office in the zone said on Wednesday.

AIHRC research director Abdul Basir Sabawoon told a gathering honouring the victims of war that civilian casualties increased this year compared to figures in 2014.

He said 196 civilians were killed in Nangarhar, Laghman and Kunar provinces last year compared to 210 deaths this year when 555 others were injured.

“The fatalities include 12 womeninfo-icon and 24 children and the injured include 45 women and 103 children based on our investigation in the three provinces,” he said.

Sabawoon said they did not investigate civilian casualties in Nuristan province due to a lack of access.

He said the casualties were caused by Afghan forces and militants but did not specifically mention how much by either side.

Meanwhile, Nangarhar governor’s spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told Pajhwok Afghan News the local administration was making efforts to prevent civilian casualties.

He said the provincial government had directed security organs to avoid civilian casualties during their operations.

Meanwhile, Laghman governor’s spokesman Sarhadi Zwak blamed 95 percent civilian casualties on militants.

He said local officials on Tuesday met with tribal elders and listened to their views and suggestions on how to prevent civilian casualties.

Talibaninfo-icon militants have so far issued no comments on the AIHR report, but in response to such reports, the rebels usually say they always try to avoid civilian casualties.

Nangarhar Women’s Affairs Director Anisa Umrani told Pajhwok Afghan News all the warring parties should prevent civilian casualties during their operations.

“The government should maintain a stable security and in general, all the parties to the conflict should avoid civilian losses, particularly women and children,” she said.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update