Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Death toll rises to 42 in Kunduz hospital airstrike: MSF

Death toll rises to 42 in Kunduz hospital airstrike: MSF

Dec 12, 2015 - 16:39

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The death toll from a US airstrike on a Doctors With Borders-run hospital in Kunduz City in October has risen to 42, the medical charity said Saturday, citing an internal investigation.

In a statement, the charity said previously MSF had reported a death toll of at least 30 people, but “the organisation confirms the toll has risen to 42, after methodical review of MSF records and family claims, as well as patient, staff and family testimonies,".

It said the revised figures included 14 MSF staff members confirmed to have been killed, as well as 24 patients and four caretakers."

MSF shut down the hospital after the attack that sparked an avalanche of global condemnation.

The US forces top commander in Afghanistaninfo-icon had blamed the airstrike on “human error", prompting a strong rebuke from the charity who slammed American forces for "gross negligence".

The charity, branding the incident a war crime, has called for the International Humanitarian Fact-Finding Commission (IHFFC) -- an independent body created under international law but which has never been used -- to investigate the attack.

However, it would need permission from the US and Afghanistan to proceed, and neither country has so far agreed.

Besides the casualties, part of the medical archives, patient files, and admission sheets located in the main hospital building had been destroyed because the building burned down in the attack.

The statement said before making any decisions about reopening the hospital in Kunduz, MSF was re-engaging with all parties to the conflict to seek clear assurances that MSF teams, patients and facilities were safe from attack and that the work of MSF would be fully respected in Kunduz and all locations where they worked in Afghanistan.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update