Nangarhar begins evicting illegal occupants from public land
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The provincial administration has launched a campaign aimed at retaking government land from its illegal occupants in eastern Nangarhar province, the deputy governor said on Sunday.
Mohammad Hanif Gardiwal, who oversaw a partial demolition of several residential homes which have been built on usurped land in ‘Kan Katarghai’ area in Behsud district, said the provincial government had decided with a strong resolve to evict land-grabbers from government lands and prevent the culture.
Walls of a large number of houses, which officials said had been illegally built, were demolished in the area by using bulldozers.
The deputy governor said the campaign would be extended to all districts to wrest back usurped public land. However, he did not say how much government land has been usurped in Nangarhar.
However, it is believed 150,000 acres of government land has been grabbed in the province.
Gardiwal said land-grabbers in many areas had sold government plots to common people and had told they would not be responsible for a government action.
Behsud district chief Israrullah Qazizada told Pajhwok Afghan News the land-grabbing in Behsud mostly involved powerful individuals, mafia groups and local residents. “We have promised to prevent land-grabbing in the district.”
But a resident of the district, Saifur Rahman, said: “The government is not serious in the issue of land-grab. I would say the government cannot put hand on the powerful land mafia.”
He said the central government should support and jointly work with provincial authorities in evicting land-grabbers from public properties.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.