Helmand situation improves after rebels suffer heavy losses
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Ministry of Defence (MoD) on Saturday said Afghan commando forces have been dispatched to most of insecure areas in southern Helmand province where the situation has improved to some extent.
MoD spokesman Dawlat Waziri told reporters that 16 insurgents were killed and several others wounded in recent clearing operations in Nad Ali, Khanshin, Washir and Sangin districts.
He said the situation in the restive province was under control and Taliban had been driven from most of the areas.
Waziri assured Helmand would never fall to Taliban because security forces had the ability to secure the strategically vital province.
He said the special commando forces had been dispatched to Sangin district where the situation had returned to normalcy after the arrival of reinforcements there.
He, however, acknowledged initially there had been heavy fighting between security forces and Taliban militants.
He further said the Afghan Air Force conducted 55 flights during the past 24 hours targeting Islamic State hideouts in Nangarhar and supplying logistics for Afghan ground forces. Waziri said six security officials have been killed during recent fighting with insurgents.
Sediq Sediqui, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) spokesman, said two police and 50 insurgents had been killed during the clashes in Sangin district. He said police focused on Sangin more and clearing operation was underway in the district.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.