‘Nangarhar energy deptt daily incurring 4.3m afs losses’
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The energy and water department of eastern Nangarhar province suffered 56.16 million afghanis losses in 13 days due to the severed power supply lines in Ozben area, an official said on Monday.
Thirteen days ago, officials said suspected Taliban fighters cut off the power lines supplying 34 megawatts of electricity from Naghlu hydropower dam to Nangarhar and Laghman provinces in Ozbin area of Sarobi district of Kabul.
“Our daily income from power consumption is 4.3 million afghanis, so it becomes 56.16 million afs in 13 days,” Energy Director Mohibur Rahman Momand told Pajhwok Afghan News.
“The power supply has been cut off to mosques, madaris and schools and to factories, which has created problems for people,” he said, adding that militants used to cut off power cables under various excuses but they have been engaged in talks through tribal elders.
He denied if Taliban had demanded money in order to allow the power supply to Nangarhar, saying the blackout had affected mostly poor people because all government departments used power generators.
“The people of Ozbin think that they are deprived of electricity and that’s why militants come and cut off the lines. If we had no intention to extend the power to the area, why would we install 2203 power pylons in the area,” he asked.
Momand said the power extension projecto Ozbin area had been brought to a halt due to a lack of budget.
Nangarhar Governor Saleem Khan Kunduzi said the power supply line had been cut in Kabul province and he had contacted the central government to resolve the problem.
“The government should find a permanent solution to the problem because electricity lines have been cut several times in recent past,” said the provincial council chief, Ahmad Ali Hazrat.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.