Power supply to Nangarhar restored with repair of cables
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Local officials on Tuesday said power cables cut by the Taliban in eastern Nangarhar province had been reconnected.
The electricity cables extended to Nangarhar and Laghman provinces were snapped by militants in the Ozbin area of Sarobi district of Kabul.
Nangarhar Energy and Water Director Mohib Rahman Momand told Pajhwok Afghan News his department was suffering a loss of around four million afghanis a day in the absence of electricity. The department incurred a loss of 55 million afghanis during the past 13 days.
With the repairs of the broken cables, electricity supply to Nangarhar province had been restored, Momand said. “This time, we have decided to solve the problem that has been shared with local elders and National Security Council (NSC).”
He added the problem was permanently resolved as result of local elders’ efforts. But Momand did not provide information on how the issue was settled for good.
The governor’s spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani, said they could address the problem in a day, but the government decided to resolve it permanently by putting in more efforts and time.
Some individuals were trying to politicise the issue or involve the military, but the government had frustrated such attempts by resolving the problem through tribal elders, Khogyani said.
He added elders from Ozbin area met local officials and representatives of NSC. The issue was resolved with the signing of an agreement on protecting the power transmission line.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.