Helmand conflict displaces thousands of families
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): Thousands of families have been displaced by ongoing fighting in southern Helmand province, an official acknowledged on Thursday.
Scores of families were faced with multiple problems in insurgency-plagued areas of the province, said Ghulam Farooq Noorzai, head of the Refugees and Repatriation Department.
The official did not state the exact number of the displaced families, but said they had provided initial assistance to 1,800 war-affected households.
Noorzai added his department had surveyed another 2,000 families and would provide them with food items, tents and other necessary items.
He said most of the displaced families belonged to Greshk and Khanshin districts. Last month, the Taliban overran Khanshin, which was recaptured by security forces.
But fighting in Greshk is still underway, preventing the displaced families from returning to their homes. The Taliban have also stepped up attacks in Sangin district.
Provincial Council Chairman Karim Khan Atal told Pajhwok Afghan News around 5,000 families had been displaced due to recent fighting in Helmand.
According to Atal, the displaced households had taken refuge in Lashkargah, the provincial capital, and other secure areas. But they are up against several problems.
Taliban currently control four districts of Helmand, where fighting has been a source of concern for civilians. Security forces are trying to take back the lost areas.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.