Major anti-Daesh offensive in Nangarhar planned: officials
KABUL (Pajhwok): Security officials on Saturday said a large-scale operation has been planned against Daesh in eastern Nangarhar province, where 150 Daesh fighters were killed and 60 others injured over the past 10 days.
“Dozens of Daesh or so-called Islamic State (IS) members were killed in the past few days in Nangarhar and their centres destroyed in different districts,” Ministry of Defence spokesman Dawlat Waziri told a press conference here.
“Daesh will not be allowed to establish centres and hideouts in Nangarhar,” he said.
Ministry of Interior spokesman Sediq Seddiqi said nine anti-IS operations took place over the past 10 days in Nangarhar, leaving 144 IS members dead including their commanders, and another 58 injured.
“With the help of local people, we are trying to target Daesh centres and dismantle their leadership so that it could not spread their activities to other provinces,” he said, adding that the security forces were well-prepared to respond to attacks from militants this new year.
Waziri said the Ministry of Defence was working to strengthen the air force and four attack helicopters had been received from India and US A29 aircrafts were expected to reach over the next few days.
Over 100 pilots, technical members and mechanics are being trained in US, as many in Czech Republic, 150 in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), 200 in India and dozens of others are studying in Shindand district of Herat and at the Kabul Air Force University, he said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.